Name:
Location: kampala, kampala, Uganda

trying to find the real me. sometimes am an ambitious lady ready to conquer the world, sometimes a timid girl afraid to face the world

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Make it Count

Make it Count

APPRECIATE THE LITTLE THINGS IN LIFE
Rachael: appreciate the little things in life.
Blogger: I have heard that tale before, tell me something new.

Rachael: Blogger, I thought I tried to appreciate life. I mean I could tell when the sun is beautiful, when the full moon is out and when the air is fresh, are'nt these the little things that matter most in life?

But I could also tell that my nose could have been a little smaller and sharper and it would do me good to have an Angelina Jolie mouth, a Jenifer Lopez body and well, baby skin. It has taken a minute in Cancer Institute Mulago to make me know better. The first blow was that my brother is to be admitted in the institute. My brother? in Cancer Institute? How? he was in pain and he had to go. We were all praying for his healing, asking God why.But the moment we stepped in that ward, we even wondered why we were there. Compared to the people in the room, my brother was very very fine.

I saw kids whose body parts had been eaten up by cancer, were wailing in pain, their hair was falling off, and they still continued to live. At first I asked God why he had to let these people live on in amidst of all the pain. I tried not to look at them, I couldnt face them. I felt bad that i was very fine, and these people had all this pain. There is one particular kid who touched my heart. A young girl whose lips and nose had been eaten up. she was so tiny, like there was no flesh under her skin. The most hurting bit was that she was crying, hugging her caretaker saying 'nyamba..' help me.I felt tears coming out of my eyes, I had to move out.

There were many others. But what touched me most was the peace that hovers around that ward. There is no executive wing, no side rooms, no private wards. All patients are equal. they dont complain. they live in harmony, like they know the real value of life. The doctors there are really gifted. They know each patient by name, they know their problems and history and are genuinely interested in them. It would take a conscienceless person not to.

I have since learnt to appreciate me, to count the blessings not the curses, to appreciate people around me and mostly to appreciate blogger who i can share this story with.

4 Comments:

Blogger muzukulu wa Nkali said...

angelina jolie mouth...?
jlo body...? hmmm
sori about timo

5:24 AM  
Blogger Rae said...

Yeah right, whether we say it or not, every girl dreams of these things!

10:24 AM  
Blogger crys said...

wat can i say? or do? i gues yo ryt. just have to appreciate everything.

6:18 AM  
Blogger ~ScotchBiscuits~ said...

'make it count' is like something you hear in all those 'motivation' conference things,but your story tells it differently. sort of makes it real. I hope your brother is doing better...
n how cute to see another new blogger!!

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home